Human Animal Bond – HAB
At Baulcombes Barn, Owena Lewis offers farm therapy to a variety of clients. We thought it might be interesting to say a bit more about what that is.
Farm therapy is where you work with a therapist as well as animals, and this process provides opportunities for the bond between animals and people to develop. This can be very therapeutic in the following ways:
- Multi–sensory, stroking, petting and touching animals, research has shown that stroking a pet is beneficial in bringing one’s heart rate down.
- Unconditional judgement, animals will respond to everyone and they will accept you as you are.
- Spontaneity, animals can bring up many feelings in us, like pleasure, when they do something surprising which makes us laugh, or warmth when they are together.
- Quick to build relationships, animals are ‘right there’ when you first meet them, they don’t stand on formalities.
- Here and Now, or Mindfulness, being with the animals is all-encompassing, and will help your concentration.
- Chosen, sometimes an animal comes up to you and this may make you feel chosen which can be a nice experience.
- Honest congruent, animals don’t lie to you, equally they don’t stand for any ‘bullshit’.
- Trust animals will usually trust you from the start, treat them well and the trust will develop into recognition and friendship.
- Confidante, you might be drawn to one animal in particular and feel that you can trust it with your inner most thoughts and feelings.
For more information about Farm Therapies, see here